Friday, December 4, 2015

Keeping Safety First!

When I was in grade-school, post 9/11, I remember I would sometimes feel like being at school was a safer place to be than being at home. I would watch scary movies and TV shows like CSI with my mother, and I would notice how every time someone was attacked or died, it was around their house. I knew that at school someone would have to get past the entire officer at the door, the front office system, and then my teacher to get to me. School was my safety zone. I knew that even if I wasn't protected at home, I would be safe at school.

As educators, we have to keep in mind, that for most of our students, school is the safest place for them. We need to make sure that at all times they feel as if they can come talk to you about anything. They must feel like school is the safest place for them to be. Dr. Linda Dusenbury wrote about classroom safety in an article in Education World. Dusenbury writes how the first step to having a safe classroom is having an organized classroom. As well as being prepared for the class with all materials, so you don't have to leave the class for anything. I also read in the article a great classroom tip: placing mirrors on/against the dry erase so that if you are writing on the board, you can still see behind you when you are writing on the board. This tip would help any grade level educator. 


                                    Photo From: wordpress.com



No comments:

Post a Comment